Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thrill of the Chase

As you know I’m a big music-lover, but my taste is a bit obscure and unique, which makes it very difficult to find CDs that I like. The types of music I listen to are not played on the radio and are rarely found in mainstream music stores, so for me, looking for CDs is like being Indiana Jones searching for ancient relics. There is a process that involves researching the band, hunting for the CDs, and then verifying that they will suit my taste.

I try to limit myself to 1 CD a month – although this is more of a guideline than a rule - so it is an honor for a CD to be chosen to join my elite collection. I thought it might be fun each month to write a review of my latest find. …Well, fun for me anyway. I know most of you will have no idea who these bands are, but you know me … I’m always willing to share.

Yesterday I was stoked. CD Tradepost’s online inventory indicated they had an album that I really wanted to try out. This is a very unique band that I was interested in hearing and sharing the experience with the rest of you (I’ll reveal what it is later). I went straight there after work, but the CD was nowhere to be found. I asked the cashier about it, he verified that the computer indicated the CD was at this store, and he helped me look around. We checked all the other sections of the store, just in case it was put in the wrong category, and I even checked the rows next to the places where it could be, just in case somebody picked it up out of curiosity and then accidentally returned it one or two rows away from where they got it.

But alas, this rarity eluded us. The cashier said he would call me if it resurfaces, but I know that this is unlikely.

I won’t give up. The hunt is on. The target has made its presence known, and has mocked me by walking through my crosshairs while my weapon malfunctioned. Now it dares to run and hide. But I will continue to track my prey. It will be mine. … Oh yes … It will be mine.

To be continued … hopefully…

No comments: